Wow and the past seven days with various events have gone by in a flash along with the month of Love that is February! What events have you been to that you can share with us? Please leave us some ideas of your experience in the comments or on our Facebook page.
Check out our blog about the Rainbow Camino 2017 as an “event activity” that happened this past Saturday.
For the next seven days these are the events lined up, so get out there and have some fun.
1 – 7 March 2017
Museum and Art Exhibitions:
Iziko Slave Lodge
– Identities rooted in slavery is what you will discover with My Naam Is Februarie
– Material women? The shweshwe story | This exhibition traces the origins of isishweshwe cloth from its roots as a trade item in Asia and Europe, to its establishment as a much-loved southern African material icon.
– Red in the Rainbow | An exhibition based on Lynn Carneson’s book, Red in the Rainbow: The Life and Times of Fred and Sarah Carneson.
– Singing Freedom: Music and the struggle against apartheid | Music played a vital role during the struggle against apartheid. The melodies, carried in the hearts of people, served as calls to action, inspired, encouraged and motivated.
Iziko South African National Gallery
– The Art of Disruptions | These artworks engage with a range of topical issues, often reflecting on our contested histories and their enduring effects.
– At Face Value | The Iziko South African National Gallery is exhibiting some of its extensive and diverse collection of portraiture.
– Women’s Work | Showcases the innovation demonstrated by a diverse group of contemporary South African artists and crafts practitioners
Iziko South African Museum
– Oceans of Life: A retrospective photographic exhibition | A collection of beautiful, ocean inspired images.
– Crossing the Ecoline | Between the atmosphere and the ocean – at the point where the absorption of carbon dioxide takes place – is the “ecoline”.
Iziko Bo-Kaap Museum
Between States of Emergency: Photographers in action 1985 to 1990 | A photographic exhibition honouring 40 photographers who took a stand against the Apartheid Regime.
To Love or Not to Love: A Street View | 2 February 2017 to 17 March 2017
How long is forever? | 2 February 2017 to 31 July 2017
Art Africa Fair 2017 | 24 February 2017 to 5 March 2017
Michaelis Graduate Exhibition |24 February 2017 to 6 March 2017
SMAC Gallery | Pushing Thirty by Jody Paulsen
As his first solo show, Pushing Thirty is what Jody Paulsen describes as a “millenial approach to becoming an adult”.
Strangely true and weirdly wonderful at Ripley’s Believe it or Not!
Open daily from 9 till 9 at the V&A Waterfront
Cape Town Comedy Club features in the top ten best comedy clubs in the world. With a weekly great line up and delicious food and drinks you can choose to go for any day of five out of seven days from Wednesdays to Sundays with the occasional additional gig on a Monday.
– Every day besides Sunday 5 March 2017 you can be sure to find Chapter 2 Section 9
– The contemporary theatre classic Marat/Sade directed by Jaco Bouwer
[Image courtesy of Baxter Theatre | Marat/Sade]
With more than ten venues and movie screenings to choose from The Galileo Open Air Cinema gives you movies with a difference and the fresh open air to enjoy.
Barnyard Theatre Willowbridge
The Barnyard Theatre presents: One Vision – A Tribute to ABBA & Queen –both known for their musical style; combining pop and rock riffs, massed vocal harmonies, overdubbed guitar work, catchy pop melodies, surreal humour, and flamboyant, theatrical performances.on from Tuesdays – Sundays until 5 March
Wednesday 1 March 2017
Design Indaba Festival
The Artscape Piazza will open up to the public from 17:30 each night of the Festival with an explosion of music, art and design installations, food and festivities, alongside their FilmFest and exhibitions of Emerging Creatives, Most Beautiful Object in South Africa and Underground Images. On until 4 March 2017.
Vineyard Oval Market a weekly Wednesday Night Market situated in the heartbeat of the Southern Suburbs at Kenilworth Racecourse.
Dangled is an adaptation of Nikolai Gogol’s short story Diary of a Madman by multi-award winning writer Louis Viljoen and performed by multi-award winning actor Rob van Vuuren. Running for two days only 1 & 2 March 2017 at Alexander Bar
OMG Quiz Night has crash landed their trivia machine right into the belly of Alexander Bar. Every Wednesday the cosy chairs and tables of the bar get turned into your throne from which you will enter into a battle of the minds.
A collection of three dark and delicious one act plays, “bash” explores the complexities of evil in everyday life. 1, 6 & 7 March 2017 at Alexander Bar.
Thursday 2 March 2017
Naked Girls Reading Cape Town is back with the 2017 edition of Queerly Beloved – with an all-new reading list dedicated entirely to LGBTQI stories, queer readings and queer writers!
Bay Harbour Market KWV Sound Stage in Hout Bay has live acts available from Fridays through to Sundays and there are over 80 traders and delicious food stalls.
This week you on the line up you can find:
Fri 3rd: Daena Weeks | Sat 4th: Dave Ledbetter | Sun 5th: PurpleCry
Cape Town International Animation Festival | Animation SA proudly presents The Cape Town International Animation Festival! On until 5 March 17
Hout Bay Farmers Market happens every Saturday at Valley Farmstall, Valley Road, Hout Bay where you can find fresh organic grown vegetables as well as other goods and yummy treats. A farmyard with animals is also available and seating and lawn area to relax and enjoy.
Alexander Bar An evening with BRYNN | An intimate and unplugged evening with the alternative/folk act that’s got everyone talking.
SHHH – An art song recital | This recital offers an opportunity to hear a widely contrasting selection of rarely heard art songs.
Sunday 5 March 2017
Dizzys Camps Bay
Beer Pong Sundays with Stellenbrau, competition launching this Sunday. Can you aim, sink and make your opponents drink! Be the Dizzys Beer Pong Champion.
[Image courtesy of Dizzys Camps Bay]
Markets have become quite popular in the Western Cape but the Taste at Simon’s | Groot Constantia market is great in that there is so much more to do in the area, so you can make an entire day out and download the Constantia Valley app for iOS or Android
Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concerts | Karen Zoid and Francois van Coke
Monday 6 March 2017
Alexander Bar | Improguise’s 5th Annual Improv festival
ImproGuise, Cape Town’s oldest and award winning improv troupe present their fifth, week-long annual improv festival. On until 11 March 2017.
Tuesday 7 March 2017
Karaoke Tuesdays at Dizzys Camps Bay is where you can set your vocal chords free and there are plenty of ice cold drinks to keep them cool.
[Image courtesy of Dizzys Camps Bay]
Asoka presents A Night Out With Grey Goose Vodka
Live Jazz with Mr Keys & The Funky Munks
The Amazing Beerhouse Pub Quiz | Wrestle your brain at Beerhouse on Long
Live Music Tuesday at Cafe Mojito | Kick off your week with a night of local jamming at Long Street’s beloved Cuban restaurant and cocktail bar.
With this much variety of events to choose from we are sure there are quite a few you will be going to and we look forward to hear your feedback of your experience. Until next week, get out there and have fun!